Guide for Journal Club hosts
As the JC speaker's host, your role is to:
- Familiarize yourself with the speaker information page and direct the speaker there for reimbursement instructions.
- The coordinator has probably already arranged for an email announcement of the JC to be sent to the mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org a few days before the talk and the day of; double check whether this is the case. The notice should include the speaker's name, talk title and abstract, and can include an invitation to meet with the speaker.
- Make arrangements to meet the speaker on the morning of the talk. Parking is available at Wilson Lab (get a tag from the 3rd floor office). If they need to come directly to Physical Sciences, they should take the hotel shuttle.
- Schedule appointments and/or tours for the speaker, arrange for a desk for them during gaps, and arrange lunch.
- Help the speaker set up for the JC and host it.
- Turn off the coffee-maker at the end of the JC!
- Organize a dinner group. Take a tax exempt form with you, also available from Peggy, and give it to the restaurant sometime before they prepare the bill. Avoid the top-priced restaurants to keep costs at a reasonable level, and any alcohol should be itemized on a bill separate from that for food.
Questions? Ask Jordan Tucker